Friday 2 May 2014

An Easter Tea Party - the difference one year can make

This Easter we were able to take our tea on the bench in lovely sunny weather, with the daffodils and tulips in bloom, the early tree buds bursting into green and the Blackthorn blossom scattered like discarded white plastic bags across the hedgerows.

And last year we had to dig out a snow drift so the car could get up the drive.

The bench is beginning to look weathered. No longer a golden hue and a distinct whitening to it. I think this summer I will go and give it a good clean and apply some teak oil, to give it a new sheen.




5 comments:

  1. I walked by your bench today and assumed that it was in memory of someone who had passed away but reaching fifty is not death! I took a couple of photos of the bench and noticed the blogspot address on the brass plaque. I did not sit on the bench as no cushions were provided. The apparent silliness of the bench idea is attractive to me because it says something about life - not everything has to be about profit and loss. I hope the bench sits there happily for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. It seems to me that you have appreciated the slight silliness in my idea for the bench.

      I do like the idea of sharing and doing so not for profit but for the sheer enjoyment of it.

      The lack of cushions has made me think. Perhaps there is something else I can add that might entice more to sit. Watch this space!

      Delete
  2. Found a reference to your blog on another post - so I thought I pop over and say hello from Australia!

    Nice to put a URL on a seat!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. I am sorry I am a bit late getting back, but I am teaching in Spain and was travelling over Easter.

    My idea for the bench comes from reading an article in a sunday newspaper colour supplement many, many years ago. A photographer and a journalist staked out a bench in Brighton and interviewed all those who stopped to sit there. I was fascinated by this great idea.

    So my bench is for all those who happen by and want to sit and the blog is my quick little method to interview or find out about those who happen by. Maybe more benches should have URLs?

    Thanks for stopping by - even virtually - and I hope the bench and the blog inspires more people to "stop and stare" and share.

    ReplyDelete